Sunday, October 12, 2008

Wine Natze Unleashed

So the other night I was off to work. Yeah... I work at a catering... temping... staffing agency. Every day it's different, and that is ok by me. I hate the boring ins and outs of a regular job (which is probably why I'm a performer - I like to be entertained). So the gig was the "Meat-packing district 'Un-corked' ". Yep, you guessed it - a wine tasting extravaganza. In other words, a LOT of people, drinking a LOT of wine, getting VERY tipsy. I had the ultimately cool job of being the wine natze - aka the girl who stands by the door and makes sure no one takes wine onto the street. Interesting night. Not only did my cheeks feel like a Barbie by the end of the night from smiling so much at these people, (and no, it's not easy to do that when the smell of alcohol is so potent that it makes you literally dizzy and sick to your stomach), but I had the opportunity to have some real doozy conversations with people who were completely drunk. Let's just say, I was their favorite person in the whole world by the time they went out the door. My favorite conversation of the evening was an older woman who was convinced that the poster hanging on the wall, which was of a beautiful male model, REALLY was making eyes at her and REALLY did want to take her home. Of course I agreed with her 100%. She seemed to REALLY like me after that.
The other highlight of my night was when the head boss got upset at me for letting a man through with an empty wine glass. I tried to explain that I was told they could take their EMPTY glasses with them, as long as there was no alcohol leaving the building. But apparantley he didn't want ANY glasses leaving the building, so not long after I had to chase some punk guy out the door who was trying to run out with a glass of wine. No LITERALLY run after him, since he was running out himself. But when there are cops all over and will give my boss AND myself a ticket for slacking, I figured a little workout was worth it.

2 comments:

Ben and Jenny said...

I would have paid to see you in action Lynette! By the way, the picture of you and Jose down at the bottom is so cute! I can't believe you have been in New York a year already. What does Jose do? Is he a performer like you?

Tara and David said...

ya i would have loved to see that too! And you have yourself a little hottie too!:)