Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Romance on 125th Street

So last night I was on my way home from work and was waiting for the "C" train at 125th street. Nothing uncommon about the night. I was engrossed in my recent novel, "North and South" -fabulous book, by the way, for all you readers out there, and no it's not the book that stars Madeline and Aury with endless love interests going on. There were quite a few people waiting right along with me, all minding their own business, when out of the blue we were thrown into a scene from what could only be a sappy chick-flick romance. This is how the scene played out - and no- I was not the lead in this story...

- "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm calling on all of you for help in an immediate emergency! Who of you here sill support me in asking out this drop-dead gorgeous woman?" All in the subway turned their heads to stare a young man on the stares pointing straight at a young woman accross the way.

The young woman blushed and tried to ignore the man... hiding her face in her scarf and looking the other way.

"Who of you thinks that this angel needs to give me her phone number and then, after that, talk to me on the phone?" Some young men in the area started clapping thier hands in agreeement, for when a man goes to so much trouble to get the attention of a lady it is undeniable that the others will follow, whooping and hollering, snickering and cheering like he represents all of them in their struggles for affection.

"Thank you! Thank you! Now beautiful, you see that the others agree here. What other proof do you need that we should be together?"

Just then an older gentlemen approached the scene and asked the young woman a question in hushed tones.

The young man became alarmed at his sudden competition. "Excuse me sir, but you are going to have to get in line like all the rest of us. We need our chance too."

The older man looked at him curiously. "I am her uncle."

"Oh! Well in that case... could I PLEASE be a part of your family?" More snickering and giggling from the onlookers (including myself). By this time the girl was half hiding herself behind her uncle.

"Well, that is not up to me to decide" laughed the old man.

The young man turned back to the girl, "Will you have dinner with me? I'll do anything. ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! "

She turned and waved her hand at him like she was shooing a fly. "Go home. Go on, go home."

After a few more protests the young man headed up the subway stairs. "It happens to all of us. Don't give up hope gentelmen. Don't give up hope!" The men in the area cheered in agreement and the young man called over his shoulder- one last farewell "I still love you! Don't forget that! I still love you!" Then he was gone.

The End



Yes this is a true story, and I only thought it happened in the movies, but no - it happens at the subway station at 125th street.

3 comments:

Ben and Jenny said...

Yay! Welcome to the big world of blogging! I can't wait to read more. What a cute story, and you're right it does seem like it would be out of a movie.

Now your next order of buisness is to get Lynda and Jen blogging too!

Jordyn Perkins said...

I loved that! HAha! Quite the life in NY. ;) You are awesome Lynette, so fun to see how you're doing. I just added another love in my life novel too! Her name is Edyn and she was born Sept. 21st. So fun, so amazing. Someday I'll get around to getting pics on my comp. so I can post her on my blog! You are a doll Lynette, take care.

Robin said...

Love it! I miss all the interesting things that can happen in the subway in a big city (granted I never witnessed anything like that in Boston). Love that you have a blog. I'm so excited to read about your New York adventures!!! You and Jose are so cute together!